Optimizing your Website for Mobile Devices
Do your supporters want to be able to access your websites on the go? Over 30% of Canadians own smartphones, so there's a good chance the answer is yes. The good news is that there's a range of ways to make your site mobile-friendly depending on your needs. This webinar will provide a high-level overview of this topic from a non-techie perspective.
We will cover:
* Should you optimize your website for mobile?
* What are the main approaches to creating a mobile-optimized site (or part of your site)?
Article: How to Make your Nonprofit Website Mobile-Friendly (This article summarizes the content of the presentation)
- 33 Nonprofit Mobile Websites (and here's 3 more!)
- Websites used as examples in this presentation: giveconfidently.ca, cccc.org, nature.org, cancer.org, 350.org, staugustineschurch.ca, fundraise.com
- 10 Reasons Why Your Nonprofit Needs a Mobile Site (infographic)
- How to learn about your mobile visitors with Google Analytics
- Sample code for a mobile-friendly donation form
- Case study of a mobile-friendly sign up form
- Examples of mobile website services that help you make a mobile website: Mofuse, GoMobi, WinkSite, Duda Mobile, Bmobilized, Mobify, Moovweb
- Examples of mobile themes and plugins for WordPress: WPTouch, WPTap, WordPress Mobile Pack
- Mobile plugins for Drupal, Joomla and Plone
- Responsive design - an example of a responsive theme, a roundup of templates and frameworks to make responsive design easier and info on options about how to use responsive design with WordPress
- Tips on designing for mobile: A User-Centered Approach To Web Design For Mobile Devices, iOS User Experience Guidelines and Mobile form design strategies
- Resources on HTML5 and mobile, and how HTML5 works with form input on mobile
Date: Wednesday October 3rd, 2012
Time: 2:00 - 3:00pm EDT
Presenter: Tierney Smith, Manager of Learning & Special Projects, TechSoup Canada