Microsoft Product Type
Windows is Microsoft's desktop operating system. This description applies to the Enterprise edition, but you can choose to download and install either the Pro or Enterprise edition through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center if you request this product.
This offer provides one Windows upgrade license. You should request one upgrade license for each computer you are upgrading. See the Product Use Rights Summary for Desktop Operating Systems for specific licensing details.
Organizations can request an unlimited number of discounted products from Microsoft.
Requests that an organization places for discounted products must include at least five licenses. The five licenses can be for the same product or a combination of different products. This requirement is waived for some products.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available?
You can choose to download the current version or the previous version of this software. You can find out which version is the current one on the Current Versions of Microsoft Products page. In addition, you can download the software in the 32-bit or 64-bit version and also in any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have system administration experience, you can use Windows Enterprise with Windows Server to
- Provide mobile workers with access to your organizational network without the need for VPN
- Allow employees to securely take a bootable version of their Windows Enterprise desktop on a USB drive to other computers
- Enhance network performance and minimize bandwidth usage
Upgrade License Only
Only certain editions of the Windows operating system qualify for upgrade licenses under TechSoup Canada's Volume Licensing agreements with Microsoft. See the system requirements to make sure your device qualifies.
If your device doesn't meet the requirements for an upgrade product, you might be eligible for a full operating system license through Microsoft's Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations program.
- All Windows Pro capabilities: Windows Enterprise provides all the capabilities of Windows Pro, including a modern interface, apps, cloud integration, and enhanced security.
- DirectAccess: Mobile workers can connect securely to your organizational network anytime they have Internet access — without the need for VPN. IT administrators using Windows Server can manage mobile computers by updating Group Policy settings and distributing software updates anytime the mobile computer has Internet connectivity.
- Windows To Go: You can create a copy of an employee's Windows workspace on a USB drive. This allows employees to access a secure, bootable version of their Windows Enterprise desktop on another PC regardless of that PC's operating system. The device must meet Windows hardware certification requirements.
- BranchCache: Your organization's PCs can cache files, websites, and other content from central servers running Windows Server so that content is not repeatedly downloaded across your network. This can minimize network traffic between branch offices and the main office.
- BitLocker drive encryption: BitLocker encrypts hard drives more quickly to protect sensitive data from being accessed by unauthorized users who come into possession of any of your organization's computers.
- Start screen control: Administrators can control the layout of the Start screen to ensure that certain apps are accessible and also to enforce consistency across all devices.
Read more about Windows features in TechSoup Canada's What's New in Windows 10.
Important Volume Licensing Information
With Windows, your organization can choose between two types of volume license keys for product activation: a Key Management Service (KMS) license key or a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). A Key Management Service (KMS) key for Windows is available to your organization by default on the Microsoft Volume Licensing website; that is, this is the only type of key you will see unless you request a MAK.
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organization has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup Canada after you request this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your request has been approved, TechSoup Canada will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the email address in your organization details is up to date by visiting your account.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup Canada to obtain your product through the VLSC.
To install this operating system, you must have a licensed installation of one of the following operating systems on the device where you are installing the upgrade:
- Windows 8 Enterprise or Pro
- Windows 7 Enterprise, Professional, or Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, or Ultimate
- Windows XP Professional or Tablet PC
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Windows 98 SE
- You cannot upgrade from any Home edition of Windows.
- You can use this product to move from a Professional version of Windows to an Enterprise version of Windows, but it will require installing a new instance of Enterprise over Professional, and it will not save your files, settings or programs.
Additional requirements to use certain features. See the full system requirements.
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.