Microsoft Discount Restrictions Guidelines
- organizations may request an unlimited number of discounted Microsoft products.
- Requests that an organization places for discounted products must include at least five licenses. The five licenses can be for the same product or a combination of different products. This requirement is waived for the following products:
- BizTalk Server Standard (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Customer Service On-Premises Device CAL (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Customer Service On-Premises User CAL (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Sales On-Premises Device CAL (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Sales On-Premises User CAL (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Team Members On-Premises Device CAL (Discounted)
- Dynamics 365 for Team Members On-Premises User CAL (Discounted)
- SQL Server Standard Edition, Core-Based Licensing (Discounted)
- SQL Server Enterprise Edition, Core-Based Licensing (Discounted)
- System Center Datacenter (Discounted)
- System Center Standard (Discounted)
- Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN (Discounted)
- Visual Studio Professional with MSDN (Discounted)
- Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN (Discounted)
- Windows Remote Desktop Services – External Connector License (Discounted)
- Windows Server Datacenter (Discounted)
- Windows Server External Connector License (Discounted)
- organizations with annual operating budgets of any size are eligible for products in this program.
Eligible organization types
- The Microsoft Discounted program serves nonprofit organizations whose missions benefit the local community. This could include organizations with the following missions:
- Providing relief to the poor
- Advancing education
- Improving social welfare
- Preserving culture
- Preserving or restoring the environment
- Promoting human rights
- Establishment of civil society
Ineligible organization types
- Not all nonprofit organizations are eligible for participation in the Microsoft Discounted program. Ineligible organizations include the following:
- Governmental organizations or agencies.
- Educational institutions, including K-12 schools, colleges, universities, and trade schools.
- Healthcare organizations, including hospitals, healthcare networks, health plans, ambulatory healthcare services, home health care and assisted living healthcare organizations, health research organizations, and laboratories. Exceptions include independent nonprofit organizations with the following missions: community, behavioural and women's health clinics; hospices; emergency services; and blood, tissue and organ banks.
- Professional, commerce, and trade associations.
- Professional and semi-professional sports organizations.
- Political, labor, and fraternal organizations.
- Refurbishers that will be installing the software on refurbished computers to be distributed to nonprofits or schools. Please visit the Registered Refurbisher program.
- Public libraries
- Private libraries, school libraries, specialty libraries, armed forces libraries, and libraries in government agencies.
Terms of service
- organizations that request Microsoft products must agree to any applicable terms of service.
- Microsoft reserves the right to supplement or amend these eligibility guidelines at any time without notice.
- Microsoft values and respects individual and cultural differences and is committed to providing an inclusive environment that is welcoming and free from discrimination. Therefore, organizations are not eligible to participate in this program if they have a policy or mission of discrimination in hiring, compensation, promotion, termination, retirement, training, programs, and/or services based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, political affiliation, union membership, or veteran status. The only exception to this policy is for religious organizations that are exempt from laws that prohibit such discrimination.
Frequently Asked Questions
- For more information about Microsoft's resources for nonprofits and discount program eligibility, see its Nonprofit FAQ.
- Products will be distributed under this program to qualifying organizations only, not to individuals.
- Products are intended only for use by paid nonprofit employees and unpaid full-time equivalent (FTE) staff who have material day-to-day managerial, operational, and fiduciary responsibilities, and who will not use the license for personal income generation. Volunteers, members, and beneficiaries of the nonprofit are not eligible for nonprofit licenses and subscriptions.
- Recipient organizations may not transfer or resell Microsoft products to other organizations, including partner nonprofits or legally independent sister organizations.
- Microsoft products may not be installed on computers that will be given to or sold to other organizations or individuals, even as part of a charitable program.
Refunds and Returns
- If you want to return or exchange the Microsoft discounted products you've received, you will need to return all Microsoft discounted products in the request and place a new request for the Microsoft discounted items you want.
- Since all Microsoft discounted products are download-only, returns will be accepted only if none of the software has been installed and if you received the product no more than 60 days previously.
- If you want to return or exchange your Microsoft discounted software product, please contact our Customer Service.