Microsoft Product Type
SharePoint Server is a server platform for information sharing, collaboration, and content management. Its services can be accessed only by appropriately licensed internal users.
This product includes a server license. Each user or device that accesses SharePoint Server must have a Standard client access license (CAL). Additive Enterprise CALs are required to access certain features. See a summary of Volume Licensing Product Use Rights for specific licensing details.
Need More Than 50 Licenses?
Eligible organizations can request additional licenses of Microsoft software at a nonprofit discount through TechSoup Canada. We strongly recommend maximizing your allotment of donated licences (up to 50 licences) before requesting additional Microsoft licences at a discount.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available?
You can choose to download the current or previous version of the software in any language that's available through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center if you request this product.
You can find out which version is the current one in the Microsoft FAQ.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have system administration experience, you can use SharePoint Server to:
- Create an intranet portal for your organization to share information
- Manage and edit documents among multiple users and offices
- Develop a public-facing website
- Collaboration: You can create content from their preferred web browser or from desktop applications such as Microsoft Word. Automated versioning and workflows, document check-out, and sophisticated access controls help teams work on shared documents with minimal confusion and misunderstanding.
- Enterprise Content Management: Users within your organization can manage their content on a single unified platform for the entire content life cycle — from creation through editing, collaboration, and approval, to long-term retention or final expiration. SharePoint can also help implement and automate compliance with information management and data security policies.
- Enterprise Search: The search infrastructure combines federated search, relevance, refinement, and social cues to speed up search and help people find the information and contacts they need.
- Portals: You can build and maintain multiple content portals on a single SharePoint installation, with each portal customized for a particular business activity or organizational stakeholder. For example, you can build an enterprise intranet portal for all employees and a divisional portal site for particular departments.
SharePoint Server Foundation 2013
SharePoint Foundation is a collaboration platform and foundation for building web applications. It is available free of charge from Microsoft. All of the features in SharePoint Foundation are also available in SharePoint Server.
Obtaining This Product
Microsoft will send licensing information to the organizational email address on your account. You must verify that the organizational email is correct on the MY ORGANIZATION tab on your My Account page. If this email address is incorrect, please email us to update it BEFORE completing your donation request.
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Centre and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup Canada after requesting this product.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
SharePoint system requirements can vary according to such factors as system configuration and options in use. See Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint for a detailed list of requirements.