Microsoft Product Type
Windows is Microsoft's desktop operating system. This description applies to the Enterprise edition, but you can choose to download and deployinstall either the Pro or Enterprise edition through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center if you request this product.
This donation provides one Windows upgrade license. You should request one upgrade license for each computer you are upgrading. See the Product Use Rights Summary for Desktop Operating Systems for specific licensing details.
The following options are available when you download this product:
- English or French
- Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 Upgrade, Windows 7 Upgrade
- Pro or Enterprise version
- 32-bit or 64-bit
Need More Than 50 Licenses?
Eligible organizations can request additional licenses of Microsoft software at a nonprofit discount through TechSoup Canada. We strongly recommend maximizing your allotment of donated licences (up to 50 licences) before requesting additional Microsoft licences at a discount.
Benefits for Organizations
You can use Windows Upgrade to:
- Protect computers from viruses and other malware with Windows Defender
- Support a touch-screen interface when working with individuals who cannot use a traditional mouse and keyboard
- Restore malfunctioning computers to the base installation with Reset and Refresh functions
- More easily switch between and access additional display languages in a multilingual environment
Upgrade License Only
Only certain editions of the Windows operating system qualify for upgrade licenses under TechSoup Canada's Volume Licensing agreements with Microsoft. See the system requirements to make sure your device qualifies.
If your device doesn't meet the requirements for an upgrade product, you might be eligible for a full operating system license through Microsoft's Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations program.
- Modern interface: You can navigate the new tile-based interface with a touch-enabled computer or a traditional mouse-and-keyboard setup. You can also choose to view a traditional Windows desktop with a Start menu similar to those in previous versions of Windows.
- Apps: Apps give you quick access to applications like Mail, Calendar, SkyDrive, Photos, People, and services like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. When not in use, apps running in the background suspend automatically, so they don't consume system resources and power.
- Cloud integration: Your apps, settings, and files saved to the cloud-based Microsoft SkyDrive will automatically become accessible on any Windows 8.1 device after you log in with your Microsoft account.
- Enhanced security: Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 includes antivirus capabilities to protect computers from viruses, Trojan horses, rootkits, and other malware, in addition to spyware and adware. The software detects threats in real-time and automatically updates malware signatures.
- Work Folders: You can keep local copies of your work files on your devices and automatically synchronize them with the server without the need for firewall client sync support.
Windows 32-bit and 64-bit
The 32-bit version of Windows operates on a computer with a 32-bit processor and 32-bit drivers. The 64-bit version operates on a computer with a 64-bit processor and 64-bit drivers. For more information, see Do I have a 32 or 64 bit system? How can I find out? and Do I Need the 32-Bit or the 64-Bit Version?
Important Volume Licensing Information
With Windows Upgrades, your organization can choose between two types of volume license keys for product activation: a Key Management Service (KMS) license key or a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). A Key Management Service (KMS) key for Windows 8.1 is available to your organization by default on the Microsoft Volume Licensing website; that is, this is the only type of key you will see unless you request a MAK.
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organization has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product. For information about obtaining a MAK or deciding which type of key to use, see TechSoup Canada's Guide to Microsoft Volume Licensing Activation Methods.
Obtaining This Product
Microsoft will send licensing information to the organizational email address on your account. You must verify that the organizational email is correct on the MY ORGANIZATION tab on your My Account page. If this email address is incorrect, please email us to update it BEFORE completing your donation request.
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Centre and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup Canada after requesting this product.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
To install this operating system, you must have a licensed installation of one of the following operating systems on the device where you are installing the upgrade:
- Windows 8 Enterprise or Pro
- Windows 7 Enterprise, Professional, or Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, or Ultimate
- Windows XP Professional or Tablet PC
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Windows 98 SE
- You cannot upgrade from any Home edition of Windows.
- You can use this product to move from a Professional version of Windows to an Enterprise version of Windows, but it will require installing a new instance of Enterprise over Professional, and it will not save your files, settings or programs.
Additional requirements to use certain features. See the full system requirements.
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.