Update April 15, 2019: Microsoft Cloud offerings are now available through TechSoup Canada!
Last year, Microsoft announced a number of changes to its nonprofit donations and discount programs. The reason for the shift is Microsoft's desire to optimize its offerings to better serve smaller nonprofits. The shift also reflects a larger, global trend to move IT infrastructure to a cloud-based model.
This shift has affected what TechSoup Canada offers to nonprofits. Generally speaking, three key changes are significant:
- Our donated product catalog has been streamlined to better serve the needs of the smallest nonprofits.
- As of March 7, 2019, discounted software offers have been added to our Microsoft program.
- Microsoft cloud product licenses are now available directly from TechSoup Canada.
It's also important to note that the 50-license limit remains the same for select donation products. Also, program eligibility will still be determined by an organization's nonprofit status and mission.
We remain committed to our core mission to help organizations gain access to affordable technology that helps increase their impact in the world. Let's take a look at how each of these areas might affect your nonprofit.
Donated Products Available through Our Product Catalog
In 2018, there were changes to the list of Microsoft products available as donations through TechSoup Canada's catalogue. Today, the following Microsoft products are available as donations to eligible organizations. You can access these products in our catalogue under Microsoft.
- Dynamics 365 for Customer Service (on-premises) User CAL
- Dynamics 365 for Sales (on-premises) User CAL
- Dynamics 365 for Team Members (on-premises) User CAL
- Exchange Server Standard (plus User CALs)
- Office for Mac
- Office Standard
- SharePoint Server (plus User and Device CALs)
- SQL Server Standard, Server/CAL Licensing (plus User and Device CALs)
- Visio Standard
- Visual Studio Professional with MSDN
- Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN
- Windows Operating System Upgrade
- Windows Full Operating System — Get Genuine
- Windows Server Essentials
- Windows Server Standard (plus User and Device CALs)
Eligible TechSoup Canada members can acquire up to 50 licenses across any of the products listed above across any number of product families.
If, prior to 2018, your nonprofit traditionally received a donated version of Office Professional Plus through TechSoup Canada, it may seem daunting to not see that product in the above list. However, it's worth taking a look at the specific functionality you need from programs like Office Professional Plus. Mission-critical software can often be combined to effectively get everything you need at your organization done.
For example, many teams use Office Professional Plus for its business productivity applications (Word, Excel, etc.) and employee email provided through a Microsoft Exchange server or database functionality through Access. If this is the case, a combination of Office Standard, Access, and Exchange Server Standard can be combined to enable these IT capabilities.
If your organization requires more than 50 licenses, you can now purchase additional software licenses through our new discount program. And in some cases, products offered only through our discount program or cloud offerings may fulfill your needs.
Discounted Microsoft Products from TechSoup Canada
In order to address the needs of the wide variety of TechSoup Canada members, we still offer Microsoft products no longer available for donation, as well as additional licenses above the donation limits. However, the pricing of these items has changed, as they are now available at a discounted rate — typically 60 – 70 percent below commercial price tags.
Below you'll find a handful of products now available at discounted rates, and you can view them in under Microsoft Discounted in our catalogue as well.
- Exchange Server Enterprise (plus User and Device CALs)
- Office Professional Plus
- Project Professional
- Project Server (plus User and Device CALs)
- Skype for Business Server
- System Center Data Protection Manager Device Client License
- Visio Professional
- Windows Remote Desktop Services (plus User and Device CALs)
- Windows Server Datacenter (plus User and Device CALs)
Please note: all products that are on the techsoupcanada.ca website as donated products will also be available as discounted products -- so if you find that need more than 50 licenses of a donated product, you can get still get those licenses through the discounted program.
TechSoup Canada members request discounted Microsoft products through a different process than for donated items. However, members can fill their carts with a mixture of donated and discounted products.
To receive the Microsoft software discounts you've requested, you need to register at Microsoft's nonprofit portal. You will then use the portal to send TechSoup Canada a certificate that validates your organization's eligibility for discounts.
Once TechSoup Canada confirms your eligibility, you'll return to this portal and enter TechSoup Canada's reseller information. We will then send you a final email with instructions on how to obtain your requested offers.
Microsoft Cloud offerings through TechSoup Canada
Today, many organizations are choosing to migrate at least part of their IT infrastructure to the cloud. Although it might not be for everyone just yet, there are a number of benefits associated with making the switch. Those benefits include the reduction of cost, increased security in most cases, and easier opportunities for collaborative and remote working.
Additionally, a subscription-based licensing model allows for greater flexibility in terms of only paying for the software you need. For example, if an employee using Office 365 leaves the organization, you can simply discontinue that license.
Eligilbe members are now able to request some of Microsoft's most popular cloud offerings by visiting the Microsoft Cloud page in our catalogue. Those offerings include:
Office 365 provides you and your staff with
- The latest Office desktop applications for PC and Mac and apps for mobile devices (certain subscriptions only)
- Cloud-based access to Office applications
- Hosted email and calendars with Exchange Online
- Instant messaging and web and video conferencing through Skype for Business
- Access to your documents from anywhere with OneDrive for Business
- More, depending on the subscription plan
Microsoft 365 provides you and your staff with Office 365, Windows 10, Enterprise Mobility + Security, and more in a single subscription.
Project Online makes it easy for your team to connect. Manage projects, portfolios, and resources with a set of comprehensive tools that enable real-time collaboration and in-depth analysis.
Skype meetings provide audio, video, and web conferencing on the Internet, with the ability to schedule a meeting in advance or start one at any time. Up to 250 people can join a meeting, using the smartphones, tablets, PCs, phones, and meeting room devices.
There's a lot to process here, so please get in touch with us if you have any questions!